He had a good friend of ours come and pick us up & take us to the train station. The destination? Grand Central Station, NYC!! I'd never taken the train into NY and the trip in and of itself was fun. Grand Central is HUGE and it was fun to see "Vanderbilt Hall" after all my research on the Vanderbilts after our Newport trip.
We checked into our hotel that was near Times Square, then headed out to dinner. The weather was beautiful and I was perfectly content wandering around the city. We talked about heading over to Central Park and on our way passed by Gershwin Theatre where Wicked is playing. I said, "Let's go see if we can get raffle tickets!" So we checked it out but we had missed the raffle. So off we went again, taking in the city.
We passed by the Letterman show. (We have yet to go to a taping of the show - its on our list though)
This was at a funny store that sold (mostly) camera supplies. There was this funny Indian salesman trying to get me to buy a wide-angle lens attachment. This is his sales shot. :)
After about an hour, on our walk to "Central Park" I started recognizing places we'd passed: an outdoor flower market, a store... and the Gershwin theatre again. I teased Brandon since he never gets lost wondering how he was losing track of where we were at. He totally played it up. He said, "Well..are you sure these people aren't in line for the raffle tickets? Let's go make sure..." He pulled me inside the theatre and I waited patiently for him to discover I was right and he was wrong...Until he turned around in the reserved ticket line and announced...'Ok! I got tickets...we're going to Wicked." It took a minute to sink in and I couldn't wipe the huge grin on my face for the next 4 hours. What a good liar my hubby is. I'm glad he only uses his powers for good! He got us amazing seats and the show was just incredible. Definately the best Broadway show I've seen.
I had to sneak this pic before they yelled at me to put my camera away ...
After the show we walked around Times Square, explored the M&M Store and then headed back to the hotel. The next morning we got to SLEEP IN which was so nice since our kiddos have been bursting in every morning about 6:15 A.M. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed a slow easy day.
On our way to Central Park (for real this time) we passed Carnegie Deli and decided to eat there. The sandwiches are seriously ALL meat ... it was crazy. And they had some of the most DE-lish NY cheesecake I've ever had.
After our tummies were stuffed we headed over to explore Central Park. We found one of the ponds there where people were racing miniature sail boats. It was quiet and so relaxing.
Finally it was time to check out of the hotel and catch the train home to pick up our kids. Such an incredible trip...it was the re-charge we both needed after such a busy last month. Loved every second. Brandon, thank you again...it was amazing.













8 comments:
Wow - sounds like so much fun! What a fun surprise! NYC and Wicked...fantastic I bet. :o)
Brandon rocks. AWESOME!!! I'm so glad you all had such a great time:)
Ah, NYC. What fun. I'm jealous. But I'm also glad you had fun.
I have yet to be brave enough to leave my kids over night (except when giving birth to the younger ones). In 5 years, we've never gone on an overnighter. How lame is that? Sigh.
I love all the cute things you guys did. So cool. Now I'm craving good cheesecake. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
YEAH!!! How fun! I am glad that you had such a great birthday weekend! You look so beautiful by the way :)
You do have a good hubby! I'm glad you had a good time. I wish heading over to NYC wasn't such a huge trip for us Arizonans to take, but I'll get there someday.
Nice work Brandon! That looks like a perfect NYC getaway!
Amazing! What a great husband! How fun for it all to be a surprise! I love it. It really sounds perfect. Oh, and we have eaten those Carnegie Deli sandwiches. Kind of weird, if you ask me. But you're right, the cheesecake is amazing. Hooray for you!
So fun! I loved NY! If I would have known we were just a train ride away, we could have come seen you guys!
Post a Comment