The one destination I knew I wanted to share with the kids was Temple Square. Growing up in Utah I have fond memories of the SLC temple (Brandon and I were married there), the grounds, Christmas lights there, the church history museum, etc. I wanted to share that with the kids and transplant a little of my feelings into their little hearts. I went in with expectations a bit higher than was realistic - I had envisioned having sweet reverent happy discussions all day long about the gospel and the Savior and basking in the spirit of the grounds. About an hour into the day (as Olivia was trying to climb on the Christus statue to give him a hug, Ben was climbing into every roped-off exhibit and they were both running laps around our tour guide, I realized this was not going to happen and just let go and let the kids soak up whatever they could. Hopefully something stuck and they'll remember the special spirit and beauty there!
My oldest sister and her two youngest kids went with us and we had a fantastic time! She had the great idea of taking the train into SLC and riding the city tram around. This was probably the highlight of the day for Ben. We had some laughs learning the ropes - both Taunna and I had a kid get stuck behind closing doors of the train with the rest of us outside the train and didn't know how to rescue them. It was as complicated as pushing the big "Push to Open Doors" button next to the doors but we were ready to sacrifice arms and hands getting shut in the doors to try to comfort our kiddos and in the adrenaline rush didn't notice the big button right away. :) I think plenty of people got a kick out of watching us and we'll be laughing about that ourselves for a lifetime!
![]() |
| Catching the train to downtown SLC and walking through City Creek mall on the way to Temple Square |
When we peeked in the tabernacle to listen to an organist practicing, Olivia shouted excitedly, "MOM!! It's the front of the hymn book!!! I've never seen this in my entire LIFE!" :) It was pretty adorable. I love the architecture of the tabernacle - so elegant.
We took a quick "tour" of the conference center - we told the guide our audience wouldn't last too long so he was super patient and gave us the shortened version. We got to peek in the conference center where the Prophet speaks during General Conference, and then go up to the roof and get the garden tour.
![]() |
| Love this set! |
We closed our SLC day with a stop in Juicy Berry at the Gateway - SO yummy! It was my first introduction to a self-serve frozen yogurt place. We had so much fun sampling at our pleasure and then picking our favorite flavors and toppings to share. Perfect after a hot day. The kids were definately fans! :)
When we got home we my very skilled nephew who can fix anything and pretty much build anything, took Ben for a ride on his home-made Go-Cart. Ben was in heaven! His older cousin was so sweet, pushing him around so that he thought he was driving. They are such thoughtful good kids - loved getting to visit with them and sharing a special day with my big sis!











1 comment:
Oh my goodness, I love the "front of the hymn book" comment!
We're about to do a similar adventure. I love SLC.
Great pics, too!
Post a Comment