
This marks week 4 with little Ben. I'm still loving it - way more than I ever expected or hoped. But I have to laugh at the chaotic juggling act that is my life right now ... Between a newborn & toddler I can't seem to get anything but bare essentials done. And oh-so-many things are slipping through the cracks.
Never-Ending Questions from a Sleep-Deprived Mind:
How long do I have until Ben wakes up?
Did I remember to change his diaper?
How long has he been wearing the same jammies?
How long have I been wearing these jammies?
Why are my teeth feeling so gross?....(Oh - it's 3:00 in the afternoon and I haven't brushed them yet.)
It's so quiet ... why is it so quiet? Where is Olivia & what's she up to?
Ben does give me breaks during his naps which leaves me to decide what to do with that hour and a half or so. Possibilities to choose from:
Mommy-Olivia time?
Straightening the house?
Take a shower?
Photo editing?
Planning/Making dinner?
What usually wins? Either Mommy-Olivia time, or, if I'm lucky enough to have Ben napping at the same time Olivia naps, I get a nap. Yay!
So - Sorry to my sweet husband and my patient kids who patiently deal with a jammy-wearing, greasy-haired mom who is serving PB&J and cold cereal for dinner ... again. Thanks to a husband who is great at calming my frazzled nerves and bringing home smiles and energy at the end of a day when I'm walking around like a zombie. This is a crazy time, but I'm loving it, and them, more every day.



7 comments:
I must say, that hits the nail right on the head. That's motherhood! It's wonderfully chaotic and I am starting to be able to tell myself: "This is not a time in my life for a clean house. This is a time to care for my children." You're doing superbly, Darling Jod.
I think it's hard adjusting to another little persons schedule but it gets easier, and then you will miss it.
Good luck to you.
Zombie! i hear ya! And I've had mine for 2 1/2 months. Just this week we kicked her out of our room and finally we're getting more than 2 hours of sleep at a time. We were lucky enough to even get 5 hours straight one night! Say hi to Olivia for us!
It can be hard for the first few months. But it does get easier. The trick to dinner is the crock pot. It cooks all day while you get to do your thing. Just hang in there and don't worry so much about your house. Your kids only care about you. love ya.
I'm finally leaving the zombie stage, and my baby is almost 4 1/2 months. So just do what you HAVE to do and enjoy your kids, the cleanliness of the house doesn't matter! ;)
That first month (or three :) is always the craziest! I agree - the sleep deprivation is so hard - and then you want to spend time with the older child - decisions, decisions! It gets easier- I promise :) You are such a great mom!
I think you've really captured the truth - the shock, chaos, and upheaval that come with that second one. I can certainly relate to everything you've written. The question of what to do with free time is especially poignant. I felt like I was sprinting to get stuff done those first few months. Cleaning the house definitely flew out the window! Things are definitely getting better. I'm not sprinting anymore, but the house is still never clean. Good luck!
Post a Comment