April 28th our little Olivia Bear turned 3. People always tell me "Enjoy it - they grow up so fast!" And I nod and smile and agree...with a blurry picture in my head of that reality. But before I can really think about that I'm pulled away to clean up spilled cheerios or change a diaper or get the laundry.
Today I was looking through pictures of Olivia. Tears jumped to my eyes as the reality of super-sonic growth hit me. The last 3 years have passed in a blur. It seems that Olivia has always been the little 2.5' grown-up beside me. Looking at her pictures I think, "Is that REALLY her? When was she ever that small?" I vaguely remember the little voice, the new discoveries she made, those baby cheeks.
In some ways it makes me long to step back and take in those earlier moments...to really SEE and EXPERIENCE the gift of time together and all that entails. It was a good reminder to take in the details of every day and cherish them right now - something I forget too often as I auto-pilot through the duties of Mommy-hood. In a few more years she'll be off to school and I'm sure playing with friends will be much funner than hanging out with Mom. So - here's to drinking in the moments and details of every day - whatever that day looks like.
Monday, June 22, 2009
Is it just me?
...Or do your kiddos grow up at super-sonic-super-speed?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome!
Thanks for visiting our family blog! We thought we'd try this new way to stay connected to family and friends since we can't be there in person with you! Please feel welcome to visit often and share your thoughts. We'll keep all our latest pictures, movies, and news here. Enjoy!




3 comments:
Well said. Happy Birthday Olivia!
I TOTALLY know what you're talking about. Everyone warns you that it passes quickly. The nod, the blur. That's me! How do we make sure we're drinking in those little moments? Today I realized that because I know I'm going to have more kids, I take some of the little moments for granted. If we could hold onto each child as if he/she were our only one, maybe we would be more conscious of it. Hmmm . . . good thoughts, JoDee!
Happy Birthday Olivia! We miss you!
Post a Comment