Zoom In!

For a LARGER VIEW of the images, just click on the picture. You know you want to. :)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

OTPWB Day 2: Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Broadway

Christian Yost (Jost)
Born: Nov 4, 1863
Arrived in America: 1896

Brandon's Great Grandpa Yost traveled from his homeland in Switzerland to the United States after getting baptized as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  He recorded a bit about the journey to America in his journal...It was so fun to read and really envision the immigration experience they had.

"April 25, 1896: It was very windy the ship was rocking all day. No one likes to eat.
 April 26, 1896: Very stormy, most of us didn't eat.
 April 27, 1896: Also stormy, the waves came over the ship.
 April 30, 1896: We saw a big fish.
 May 5, 1896: Nice weather and at noon saw land on both sides of ship. It was wonderful. At   three o' clock we landed and our baggage was searched. Then we went by carriage pulled by horses to the hotel.  I like it in this city. They had the electric light on all night.  Business went on day and night."
Our first day in NYC, we spent the afternoon going to the Statue of Liberty, and visiting Ellis Island. These were both firsts for me and definate favorites. We had to hurry through the museum at Ellis Island and Brandon and I were glad we live here so we can go back and take our time the next visit.  We were a little disappointed to find out the Ellis Island that Christian came through burnt down the year after he came and was replaced by what is there now...But still pretty special to step on the ground and learn about the experience. 

After this blustery afternoon we headed back to the hotel to get cleaned up and spent a wonderful evening where "the electric light are on all night"...Time Square and Broadway.  We got to see Wicked again and I loved it just as much the 2nd time around!
We ate a delicious 11pm dinner at a hotel across the street from the M&M store...it had huge glass windows and was perfect for watching the action in the streets.  I changed from my crazy Broadway pumps to cushy flip flops and we checked out a few places before finally heading back to the hotel.  An awesome day in the city!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

What a whirlwind. You guys hit all the essentials.

How do you get your pictures to clump together like that? My long posts drive me nuts, but whenever I try to play with the format, it ruins everything. Alas, I am getting old and un-savvy.

These pics are great, by the way!

JoDee said...

Thanks Jess! I just created some templates in photoshop and then I pull my pics into them, save it as a .jpg, and upload that to the blog. I just have too hard of a time deciding which pics to include so I started doing it this way to consolidate a bit. :)

Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our family blog! We thought we'd try this new way to stay connected to family and friends since we can't be there in person with you! Please feel welcome to visit often and share your thoughts. We'll keep all our latest pictures, movies, and news here. Enjoy!