I don't mind keeping our house tidy - I have the luxury of being home with Olivia during the day so I usually try to keep things picked up & cleaned ... all except for the bathrooms. Despite the fact that I know the longer I put that dreadful chore off, the worse it will be to clean, and swear to myself that "from now on I'm cleaning the tub every Saturday", I just can't get myself to get in there and do it. It's the most dreaded, avoided, and procrastinated chore. (Besides toilets, which Brandon is lucky enough to get to clean). Then of course, by the time I finally get in there to clean, there's dirt smudges, a thick layer of caked on ... something, which is a combination of Brandon's bar soap remains, hard water, and grime. It seems like I'm in there all day soaking, spraying, and scrubbing the tub with every specialty bathroom cleaner at once. By the time I'm done I'm near passed out from all the chemical fumes.
Until I made this wonderful discovery. I saw it on HGTV and thought, "No - that can't really work!" On a home make-over they had to deal with a very nasty grimy yucky tub ... even worse than mine. They tried lots of different cleaners and guess what worked: ready? ready? Drum roll please ........ Dum dum dum dum ....
There it is folks: liquid dish detergent. Cheap, sudsy, and lemony fresh. This is the one I had on hand and tried, but I'm sure any would work... I've tried it twice now and been so excited at the results I was actually EXCITED to clean the tub and rushed to the phone to tell my sis-in-law about it. Today I tried it without any other helpers: just a blast from the shower to wet the surfaces, a squeeze of dish soap all around the tub rim and along the base, and my scrubby brush. I had a clean gleaming sparkling white tub in 3 minutes. So go try it. I dare you. Then come back and tell me how great it is. We could start a fan club for dish soap. What tricks do you know?
There it is folks: liquid dish detergent. Cheap, sudsy, and lemony fresh. This is the one I had on hand and tried, but I'm sure any would work... I've tried it twice now and been so excited at the results I was actually EXCITED to clean the tub and rushed to the phone to tell my sis-in-law about it. Today I tried it without any other helpers: just a blast from the shower to wet the surfaces, a squeeze of dish soap all around the tub rim and along the base, and my scrubby brush. I had a clean gleaming sparkling white tub in 3 minutes. So go try it. I dare you. Then come back and tell me how great it is. We could start a fan club for dish soap. What tricks do you know?



7 comments:
This truly is invaluable information! Thanks for passing it along. I can't wait to try it and will let you know how the tub comes out!
oh, I know a good trick I got from the queen of clean. We keep our toothbrushes in a cup and over time the cup gets . . .well, gross. I've tried soaking it in hot water and sticking it in the dishwasher and nothing would get that grime off. So I read in the queen of clean's book that you let it soak in vinegar. AMAZING! It also works for shower heads. Just unscrew the head and soak it in vinegar. Just a light scrub and everything comes off. Yeah, for cleaning secrets! I can't wait to try the Ajax!
ooh. i need to try that. thanks for the tip.
I am so excited to try that - I totally agree that tub cleaning is no fun!
Once you start to do coupons you will not stop. It is addicting and you get so happy when you get a good deal. just this week alone I got the 67 boxes of cereal and like five other free things from rebates.Rebates are also addicting.
that is such good information. I use comet on my tub because it seems to have the same effect but i'll have to try the dish soap and see if it works better.
This is Whitney (Dierenfeldt) Williams...I saw your link on Tiff;s blog, and I am sure glad I did. i can't wait to try the ajax...That's the only dish soap I use so it's great to know it will work on the tub. Thanks!!
Post a Comment